Title: GST Advisor
Company Name: Australian Unity
Job Location: Australia, Victoria, Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs, melbourne
Employment Status: Full Time
- Newly created role focusing on providing GST advice across the Group.
- Join a high performing Tax team and wider Finance & Strategy function.
- We’re for Real Wellbeing.
Join us and let’s make a bigger difference together.
Established in 1840, we’re Australia’s first member-owned wellbeing company, delivering health, wealth and care services to more than 700,000 Australians. Today, while we’ve grown to a company of over 7000 employees, our focus remains the same as it was 180 years ago — to deliver Real Wellbeing for our customers, members and the community.
It’s an exciting time to be joining Australian Unity — we’re a growing organisation, focused on finding opportunities to create social and community value while operating with commercial purpose. Australian Unity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
In this newly created role as GST Advisor in the Group Tax team, you will report to a Tax Manager – Assurance (GST) and be required to:
- Provide timely and accurate GST (and to a lesser extent, stamp duty and FBT) advice to all the businesses across Australian Unity. This includes the following platforms; Wealth & Capital Markets, Independent and Assisted Living, Retail and additionally Group Support. You will be required to prepare position papers, memorandums of advice, private binding rulings etc.
- Provide end to end GST support i.e. advice to implementation of any solutions for any new business transactions, special projects, restructuring, mergers & acquisitions, etc.
- Support the Tax Manager – Assurance (GST) to operationalise any GST outcomes from the provision of advice and provide GST training as required.
- Ensure that our GST governance framework, processes and systems are aligned with the ATO justified trust program.
- Assist with documenting how GST data flows from the Group’s IT systems to BAS reporting, including the identification of any existing gaps and additional controls required.
- Ensure that GST compliance obligations are met within legislated timeframes i.e. the calculation of Division 129 adjustments and maintenance of apportionment methodologies.
- Assist the team dealing with any ATO Justified Trust reviews / audits.
- Actively identify and implement improvements to any GST related processes.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- TIA, CA or CPA membership coupled with relevant GST advisory experience.
- Proven experience providing advice on GST matters ideally across a variety of industries including financial services and healthcare / aged care.
- Degree qualified with demonstrated experience working in a large and complex business services, consulting and/or corporate environment.
- Experience in dealing with the ATO in Top 1000 GST Assurance Reviews.
- Competent Excel skills and computer literacy across financial software and accounting packages.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with proven ability to cultivate effective working relationships and influence outcomes.
- Drive to achieve results within time constraints and conflicting priorities.
What makes us, us
There are four key attributes that set us apart:
We strive to set ourselves apart through the capability, warmth and expertise of our people.
Our breadth of capability enables us to provide smart solutions and services across all domains of wellbeing.
As a member-owned company, we’ve been focusing on long-term outcomes and single-minded dedication to our members and customers since 1840.
Driving positive impact
Everything we do is focused on making a positive difference at a personal, community and societal level.
All these things are infused with our values of bold, warm and honest.
Join us and thrive.